Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Day 3 - 40 Miles to Nehalem Bay State Park

Today is Wednesday. All alone as Jeff left this morning. My cousin is a fun person! After 35 miles stopped at Mazanita (Pop: 564) Library. Stove pump failed at breakfast today so I stopped and ended up eating eggs, hash browns, and sour dough toast. I'm looking for an outdoor store, but may not find one 'til I get to Salem or Eugene. Overcast and misty today, temp never got above 54. Went through a tunnel and was terrified. Pushed a button that said "bicycles in the tunnel", heard a roar thinking it was a logging truck, but turned out to be a small car. I walked my bike through on narrow elevated sidewalk. Safe but unnerving. Ended up biking 40 miles total before reaching my campsite at a beautiful park, Nehalem Bay State Park (still in Oregon). Views are spectacular, wildflowers, ocean nearby. Chilled so put on 2 fleece tops and rain pants. Ate a monster turkey sandwich for dinner, the best turkey sandwich ever! Met Mike and Lupe, a couple in their 60's, pushing buggies down the coast for a fund raiser; Lupe gets to ride in the buggy when she's tired. Also was interviewed by another man who took pictures of me and my bike. Passed by St. Peter the Fisherman Catholic Church which was locked up.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Dad- You broke my stove already??