Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 68 - 75 Miles to Damascus, VA

Friday, August 1 - 75 miles to Damascus, 3,975 total miles. Began my day with 3 pancakes and coffee for breakfast. Did 4 climbs, several annoying PUDs (pointless ups & downs). The toughest climb was Big A Mountain - it lived up to its name - with traffic, direct sunlight, and it was hot. Contrast it with Clinch Mountain, a comparable climb, with no traffic, good road, in shade, and peaceful. A subway, coke, and cookies was lunch. A little bit of wildlife today, a rabbit, couple of groundhogs, and I heard but didn't see a deer running through the woods.

I took the road to Damascus (pop. 900) although I considered skipping it. Thought of St. Paul on his journeys and it's the Year of St. Paul. Also thought of my backpacking buddies and all the memories of the AT (App Trail) coming in to Damascus. I'm staying at The Place, a hostel run by the Methodist church for AT hikers. Ate dinner at Sicily's Italian Restaurant. Ate a Sicilian pizza (chicken, green pepper, and onion) that was thick and rectangular. So far only one other person is at the hostel and he's sleeping.

No comments: