Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day 69 - 57 Miles to Wytheville, VA

Saturday, Aug. 2 - 57 miles to Wytheville (pop. 7,804), 4,032 total miles. Left the hostel early stopping at Cowboys at the gas station to eat. A man sat down at my table, turned out he was the owner. Had my standard fare - 3 blueberry pancakes, a bunch of bacon, and coffee. Encountered one mountain out of Damascus, some long grades and minor passes, none of which were particularly bad. It was tranquil, beautiful, and no traffic. Saw one deer. Snacked on a peanut butter bagel and pepsi. My route took me thru Troutdale, Sugar Grove (which has a store), and Rural Retreat before reaching my destination, Wytheville (pronounced WITH-vill). Had a tailwind the last 10 miles. Wytheville is located at the junction of I.77 and I. 81 and is known as the crossroads of the Blue Ridge Mountains. A severe storm began just as I checked into the Travel Lite Motel.

After showering, I received a call from my son, Michael, who moved back to Knoxville several weeks after I began my bike trip. Surprise! He was in Wytheville trying to find me. Another surprise, Michael brought me a nice cold beer that was recommended to him by a friend called Pale Ale, brewed by Boulevard Brewing Co, Kansas City. How did he know that it's been 2 weeks since I had a beer? We went to Mass at St. Mary's where, as visitors, we had to stand up and introduce ourselves afterwards. Then, ate dinner at the Log House 1776 Restaurant - chicken marenga (chicken, mushrooms, mushrooms, and chunks of tomatoes and known as Thomas Jefferson's favorite dish), a huge Greek salad, and broccoli. No dessert. Michael plans on biking part of the trail with me tomorrow before heading back to K-town.

No comments: