Sunday, August 3, 2008

Day 70 - 56 Miles to Christiansburg, VA

Sunday, Aug. 3 - 56 miles to Christiansburg (pop. 17,853), 4,088 total miles. I had a really good time with Michael, enjoyed it immensely, and the visit sure picked up my morale as I began my last week on the trail. Breakfast was at Bob Evans where I was treated (thank you, Michael!) to oatmeal, fresh fruit (delicious), orange juice, and good, strong coffee. We cycled 10 miles together and took pictures before Michael turned back towards his car and I continued on my journey. It was an A+ riding day as the temperature was in the 80s and low humidity. (Tomorrow, I've been told, is supposed to be the hottest day of the year.) Had one climb that wasn't too long. Not seeing much wildlife these days, just some groundhogs. I saw 2 more Westbounders but no cyclists going East. Lunch was eaten near the New River in Radford. Had peanut butter on a cinnamon bagel, fig newtons, dark chocolate, and an apple. Checked into a room at the Econo Lodge and dined at Ruby Tuesday - New Orleans tilapia with shrimp, broccoli, and rice.

A bit of trivia to ponder. I estimated my time biking thru today at 356 hours and about 80 strokes per minute which equals 1,708,800 pedal strokes!

Just 6 more days til I reach Yorktown!

No comments: