Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Day 73 - 98 Miles to Ashland - A Gentler Near Century

Wednesday, Aug. 6 - 98 miles to Ashland, 4,347 total miles. Breakfast was 2/3's box of fiber and dried fruit cereal (not an individual serving box but a regular size box), 2 blueberry muffins, a danish, orange juice, and coffee. Loafed this morning and left leisurely at 8:00. I left Charlottesville in heavy traffic, it was tiring and stressful on the narrow winding roads. Went past Jefferson's Monticello home and James Monroe's home. Lunch was eaten at the side of the road - peanut butter on a bagel, fig newtons, chocolates, and an apple. I arrived in Mineral at 2:00 craving ice cream and what do I see but an ice cream shop right there. Had a chocolate milkshake. I felt good. While chatting with the clerk about my heading on to Ashland, she said, "I don't like to drive that far," as I'm getting ready to bike there. My snacks today included 3 apples, 2 bananas, a peach, and lemonade. Not much wildlife, just ground hogs and humming birds flying in front of me. The afternoon's ride was "gently" rolling hills and light traffic. About 2 miles from Ashland, there was one climb where I had to stand up on the pedals. One contrast to note, while the West has no shade and low humidity, the East has shade and humidity. I checked into a Days Inn and ate a salmon and shrimp dinner with rice and broccoli at Ruby Tuesday's.

2 more days til Yorktown! Tuesday and today's near century mileage mean I'll finish on Friday! And Kathy arrives tomorrow night!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tom,
You should do an ad for Ruby Tuesday. It seems to be one of your favorite eating venue at least on this massive trip. No Big Mac for Tom. Only healthy and helpful food from the Ruby.

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure. Slideshow?

Ray Chan