Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day 41, July 5, 49 Miles to Pueblo, CO

Day 41, July 5, 49 easy miles from Canon (pronounced "Canyon")City to Pueblo, despite a thousand-foot climb. The day began with enjoyable breakfast conversation with Wagner family (Mark, Sandy, and Melinda from North Dakota) vacationing at the Royal Gorge, and about to go rafting through it. The short ride was uneventful and gave me time to think about the good time during the past two weeks with Kathy along. Phase II of the trip is ending and phase III is beginning. As I leave the mountains behind and head for Kansas, conditions will be changing, most notably the temperature. By mid afternoon, it reached 101. However, after all the cold and rain early on, I hope not to complain about the heat - humidity would be a different matter, though. Winter gear goes home with Kathy. I hope I don't lose my climbing legs, earned from riding for weeks through the mountains; I might need them again when I get to the Appalachians. We spent the afternoon doing odd jobs - changing van oil, doing laundry, and sorting out supplies and gear for phase III. We went to Mass at St. Pius X, and capped the day with a big dinner at an Olive Garden. Total Mileage to date: 2,248. -- Tom

No comments: