Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 51 - 59 Miles to Pittsburg

Day 51 - 59 miles to Pittsburg (pop. 19,243), 2,883 total trip miles. Breakfast was a McGriddle, yogurt, coffee, and orange juice at McDonalds where I met a WWII pilot and semi-retired dentist who was interested in seeing my detailed maps. We talked about 10 minutes, then I departed but not before noticing the "good old girls" table where a group of women in their 80's were chatting away. I've seen a lot of "good old boys" in my travels across America at the small-town cafes and gathering spots who meet for breakfast and talk about the news and local gossip. It was hot and humid today (I'm not complaining!) but otherwise uneventful though I had to take some detours. Didn't make it to Missouri but tomorrow I will as it's just a few miles away. Didn't see any cyclists. No wildlife either. Booked a motel room and ate at Chili's - chicken fajitas and a yummy chocolate paradise for dessert.

No comments: