Monday, July 14, 2008

Day 50 - 63 Miles to Chanute

Monday, July 14 - 63 miles to Chanute (pop. 9,411), 2,824 total miles to date. My day started at the bowling alley grill with the usual pancake breakfast. The cook came out of the kitchen to make sure that I ate all the pancakes! It was a quiet day with some wind picking up during the day, part headwind, and I was assisted - by the wind - about 1/3 of the way. It was relaxed today, not much traffic. Saw a deer. Stopped at a Sonic for a chocolate milkshake, tropical smoothie, and water and when asked if any of the order was "to go"and I replied that I was drinking it all right then. Saw my first cyclist on the road in 2 days, Daniel, who was westward bound. I set up camp in the city park campground adjacent to a ball field. After setting up the tent, I relaxed in the breeze on my thermarest pad. The breeze feels good when I'm not on the bike having it go against me. I went to dinner with 2 other cyclists from the campground and ate Italian - corkscrew pasta, salad, and beer. Tomorrow, I should be through Kansas and heading into Missouri.

1 comment:

Kathy Perry said...

Tom, I talked with Jim Froula and he said that he and Barbara are following your blog and are proud of what you're doing.