Friday, July 18, 2008

Day 54 - 64 Miles to Houston

Friday, July 18 - 64 miles to Houston, 3,062 total miles. Had a great breakfast - eggs, yogurt, sweet rolls, raisin bran, coffee, orange juice, and apple juice. The Missouri misery index is a function of temperature, humidity, length of hills, steepness of hills, and number of hills. Today was actually an easier day although there were more miles and hotter temperature. The dips are deep, it looks like some oncoming cars get swallowed up by the road. Saw geese today, that's it. Took pictures of beautiful roadside flowers - black eyed susans, chickory. Checked in at the Horsecreek Inn which is real bike friendly. Met Gene Vogel, a longtime friend, for dinner - Sam Adams beer, lasagna, salad, nachos, and chocolate cake. I didn't tell him where I would be and when I walked into my room, he walked in right behind me. So I was kind of surprised. On to Eminence on Saturday.

4 comments:

Eli said...

Hi, Tom. This is Eli Wittner from Knoxville, TN. We met at Lochsa Lodge on June 16. I made it home safely on June 26.
Really appreciate what you are doing. Look forward to sharing a beer, photos and stories on your return.

Eli said...

Sorry, Tom. June 16.

Tom Perry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Perry said...

Hi Eli, It's taken me a while to get back to you, but I have had you on my "to-do list" ever since getting back safely in mid August. I would absolutely love to get together for a beer or two, swap stories, and look at pictures. Do you know any place in town that sells/serves Moose Drool beer? I love telling the story about meeting you at Lochosha Lodge and getting your tip to try the Moose Drool beer. I did then and several times later. Today, while going back to your posting, I discovered your blog and saw an image of me by your Harley. I enjoyed looking over your pictures. Several of your shots looked identical to several of mine. My phone number is 966-6680. I didn't see your number listed in the phone book unless you are David E.

Looking forward to sharing a cold one with you! --Tom Perry "from Knoxville, Tennessee!"

perrytpa@hotmail.com