Saturday, July 12, 2008

Day 48 - 40+ Miles to Newton

Saturday, July 12 - 40+ miles to Newton. Last night, I turned out the lights around 9:30, it's a little spooky at first hearing noises in a strange place but I drifted off to sleep. Around 10:45 p.m., 2 people came into the basement and said, "Sir, can you wake up?" I was groggy and didn't know what was going on. They said that 6 more bikers were joining me in the church basement between 11:00 - 11:30. So much for a good sleep as I had the quackers and the honkers the previous night, now very late arrivals were waking me up. I pretended to be asleep while the new people were walking and talking loudly until they noticed me "sleeping behind a curtain;" then the large group suddenly quieted down using whispers instead. Grrr, 2 nights in a row without a good sleep.

I left at 6:30 this morning after lathering on the sunscreen which takes up to 10 minutes to properly apply. It was raining outside but I didn't know as there was no window in the basement. The rain let up a little and I stopped at McDonald's for a big breakfast - scrambled eggs, hash browns, pancakes, sausage, orange juice, and coffee. Got back on my bike and stopped again at a convenience store as it was raining harder and the temperature was about 61. It rained most of the day off and on. I stopped a third time to buy chocolate milk. Fresh chocolate chip cookies were coming out of the oven so I bought some cookies, too. Then it was pouring and a big wind was pummeling me and trucks were blasting me with spray. Had my first flat tire of the trip so off came the rear panniers in order to fix the flat which is harder to do on the rear tire as they're gears to contend with.

I checked into a motel, did laundry, biked to Mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe, and had a steak dinner.

No comments: