Saturday, July 19, 2008

Day 55 - 43 Miles to Eminence

Saturday, July 19 - 43 miles to Eminence. About 12 miles into my day, I was cruising along when I saw an oncoming cyclist with no saddlebags or panniers, a day rider, I thought. He said something like "misery loves company" and he looked familiar. Turned out that my older son, Chris, decided to surprise me this weekend. He asked Kathy (his mom, my wife) to see if I would know where my Saturday destination would be. Usually I have an idea where I'll be riding to the next day but sometimes conditions I encounter during the day alter my decision. Because Eminence had an evening Mass at 7:30, that town would be Saturday's destination. Chris was in cahoots with Kathy so she relayed him this bit of information. He left Nashville after work on Friday and drove to Eminence where he slept in his vehicle. Today, Chris started cycling towards me when he surprised me. A very special day! After reaching Eminence, we ate dinner at a steak buffet - had rib eye, pork chops, baked potato, salad, and 3 desserts (2 chocolate pies and a blackberry cobbler). To top it off, Chris picked up the check before I knew it was on the table. We went to Mass at St. Sylvester's to finish the evening. Tomorrow we'll bike together some more with Chris driving his car up the road and parking it somewhere, then biking with me before returning to retrieve his car and heading back to Nashville.

No comments: