Sunday, July 13, 2008

Day 49 - 74 Miles to Eureka

Sunday, July 13 - 74 miles to Eureka (pop. 2,914), 2,760 total miles. After breakfast of pancakes, medium orange juice (20 ounces!), 2 bananas, pineapple, yogurt, and coffee, I lingered a bit before leaving Newton. I cleaned and oiled the drive train, adjusted the fittings on my bike, and did other routine maintenance. It was going to be a light day as I planned to go 38 miles. The winds were calm, temperature was moderate (mid 80's-90), traffic was light on the roads, and it was a very relaxing day. It was so nice and pleasant that I decided to continue pedaling. Had a bagel with peanut butter for a snack. I did not see any more grain elevators which were prevalent in the western part of Kansas. My route took me through Cassoday, the world's capital of prairie chicken (grouse).

I was buzzed by a crop duster so I crouched down low and kept on cycling. The plane was pretty close, within 15-20 feet of me. A bit unnerving! A snapping turtle on the road, a bunch of blue herons, egrits, deer, and miniature deer on a farm added to the wildlife seen on the trip. Eureka is my home for the night. Did you know that Eureka got its name when an early pioneer shouted "eureka" after discovering a spring of water, now known as the Fall River? Eateries close down early in the small towns so I picked up a chicken dinner, corn, potato salad, roll, and a cookies & cream mousse dessert at the store.

I talked to my son Chris who finished 25th out of over 1,000 finishers in the Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon (1.5K swim, 42K bike, and 10K run) today with a time of 2:14:58. There was a heavy downpour during the bike phase of his race. Great job, Chris!

No comments: