Friday, June 6, 2008

Day 12 - 90 Miles to Mitchell

Friday, June 6. 90 miles today, trip mileage is 629 miles. Left Sisters at 8:30 with the sun shining and cruising at 20-25 mph for the 1st 19 miles to Redmond (the topography remind me of Stephenville, TX where my mother and 2 sisters live) where I ate a McGriddle, parfait, orange juice, and coffee. Had a tailwind and flat roads for 51 miles. It was snowing & sleeting in the Ochocho Summit pass (elevation 4,720 ft.) but it was a more gradual approach than the Santiam Pass from a few days ago. This is what I dream about for touring! Close to top of Ochocho, stopped to talk with 3 students & their instructor from Mt. Bachelor Academy. We chatted about my Ironman Triathlon & my touring plans. I was cruising and climbing with the last 16 miles downhill. Saw lots of wildlife - a herd of reindeer, prairie dogs, ravens, mallard ducks (one flew near my side for about 20 seconds), hawks, and blue herons. The mesas and buttes are "butteeful," gorgeous. Met 3 bikers and a support car carrying their gear who were impressed with me biking 90 miles carrying my own gear. Always little surprises along the way. Camping at the city park in Mitchell (pop. 190) eating my favorite dinner, cajun ramen noodles, a package of chicken, and hot chocolate, courtesy of fellow campers. Treated myself to a dark chocolate dove bar.

No comments: