Saturday, June 28, 2008

Day 34 - 72 Miles to Lander

June 28, Day 34, ending the day at Lander, WY (pop. 6867), after 72 miles today, 1,747 total miles. Those miles were hard gained with a steady head wind - in dramatic contrast to yesterday's, dreamy tail winds! It amazes me to see how much the topography can change day to day. We had mostly high desert plains as we passed through the Wind River [Shoshone] Indian Reservation. Some might describe the landscape as barren and desolate. I loved the raw beauty and muted colors. When stopped, the silence was profound. Saw two antelope and one deer, and a variety of interesting birds. I'm told there are wild horses in the area, and I may have seen some, but how do you know if the horses are wild or belong to the ranch ten miles back? Tidbits: Remember me losing my cell phone on the third day. I was talking to a bicycle touring couple on Monday at Flagg Ranch while waiting for Kathy. We were discussing one of the biggest challenges, that is staying organized and not misplacing/losing things. Well, I mentioned losing my cell phone and they said they had lost their phone on their third day out. Then they mentioned finding several cell phones along the road. Today I found my first cell phone on the side of the road, and ironically it was the same model as the one I had lost. At breakfast this morning I received the now standard "large pancake" warning, and I gave my standard reply, "Bring 'em on!" That's it for now. It's great to be "back on the Road Again..." Mass tonight at Holy Rosary. --Tom