Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day 17 - 46 Miles to New Meadows

Wednesday, June 11 - biked 46 miles, 934 total miles. Breakfast at Bucky’s Cafe – one pancake and a big bowl of oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar and it was good! Ate with Willard and his sons, Dillon and Ryan, who are cycling to the East coast but they’re on a very tight schedule. On the subject of wildlife, I forgot to mention yesterday, a hummingbird flew up to my face at 3,000 feet in the freezing cold rain on the way out of “Hell.” Saw deer, killdeer (a bird), and ducks. Snacked on a roll with peanut butter and an apple but had no lunch. I did not go as far today as planned but that’s okay. There’s always tomorrow, right? Ate an early dinner at Sagebrush Barbeque – beef brisket, coleslaw, potato salad, baked beans, and a big old piece of cornbread, and a Canadian beer. I did not have dessert but did stock up on 4 candy bars from the store. Staying in a motel again (2 nights in a row!) in New Meadows (elevation 4,000, pop. 470). Some ski slopes reopened since there’s 7” of new snow just 200 ft. higher up. It’s June 11! Big news! The sun broke out as I finished dinner, cold air is moving out, and it may be 70 tomorrow and 87 on Saturday. Bring on the warm weather (probably I’ll start complaining about the heat)! I’ll travel on Rte. 95 in the morning heading north.

No comments: