Monday, June 9, 2008

Day 15 - 60 Miles to Richland

Monday, June 9 - biked 60 miles, 819 total miles. 18 miles after leaving camp, stopped for 3 hours in Baker City to replace my rear brakes which were worn down, bought spare front and rear brakes, visited the library, stocked up on groceries, and ate Mexican for lunch - chicken burrito, Mexican fries, and a coke (the 1st coke classic I’ve had in 4-5 mos.) There are massive snow-capped peaks all around, so beautiful. I noticed a striking difference in the surroundings once leaving Baker City leaving trees behind and seeing vast hills, sagebrush, grass, and huge, scattered ranches. Saw lots of wildlife: cows, horses, prairie dogs, ducks, osprey, orange and black birds (not sure what it was), deer. The funniest was a doe in the middle of the road leaping and bounding up a rock face which I would’ve needed a rope to climb as it was very steep. It rained in the afternoon, light showers. Followed the Powder River on Rte. 86 to Richland (pop.152) and set up camp at Eagle Range Community Park. My dinner was more of the same, Oriental ramen noodles and salmon. I can't wait until Yellowstone so I can stop eating ramen noodles for a few weeks! Met three cyclists at my campground who are also heading to Yorktown but they are on a tight schedule. I should leave Oregon behind tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tommy P.
Espo, Scotty and I just found your blog. Just read through until Day 15 and can't wait to keep up with every night. Just don't listen to anything Chris tells you and you'll be fine.

Best wishes,
Andy