Monday, June 30, 2008

Day 36 - 60 Miles to Riverside, WY

Monday, June 30 - Rawlins, WY to Riverside, WY, 60 miles, after sleeping in to 7:15 and leaving at about 9:45. 1,930 total miles. Today was my first time cycling on the Interstate. I had to go about 13 miles on I-80 out of Sinclair, WY - no other roads; it was noisy, it was good to get off. Continued barren and desolate 'til Saratoga (40 mi.) where we began to see trees and some green grass. We saw at least 92 antelope, mostly on the 20-mile highway into Saratoga. Also saw a bald eagle, an osprey, and white American pelicans near Saratoga. We found a nice campsite, shade trees, too, beside the Encampment River, Riverside, WY - elevation 7,260, pop. 59. Kathy prepared sliced potatoes & onions and a veggie mix cooked in aluminum foil next to a couple of steaks. Yum!! Thundershower missed us. Eating shouldn't be this good!! I'm sure enjoying it while I can. A bit of trivia. I lost 5 lbs. in the first 4 weeks despite eating huge portions. That's what happens when more calories are burned pedaling than are taken in eating. Bring on the chow!

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Time and internet access don't permit me to acknowledge comments on the road. I do read them and I love hearing from all of you. Thanks!!! --Tom

No comments: