Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Day 23 - 65 Miles to Wisdom

Tuesday, June 17 - 65 miles for the day, 1,306 total miles. Biked Rte. 93 over the Continental Divide and Rte. 43 over a significant pass, Chief Joseph Pass (7,241 ft.) to Wisdom. I had 32 miles of ascending approach and then 8 miles of steep climbing for 3,200 vertical feet. Last 22 miles of the day were down hill with a wonderful tailwind. This was my first time to cross the Continental Divide and made me feel somewhat triumphant. My legs are getting stronger and adapting to the mountains. Lots and lots of wildlife and grand, expansive beauty to behold. I feel priviledged! Saw deer, ducks, geese, & migratory birds but mosquitoes are the most dominant wildlife - a swarm around me at the campground! Stopped at Big Hole National Monument for sight-seeing. For your geography lesson, a bowl-like area surrounded by mountains is called a "hole." Very light traffic today (nice)! Wisdom (pop. 114) was named for the Wisdom (now the Big Hole) River that flows thru town. Camped at an American Legion Park and dinner was chicken, a baked potato, salad, apple pie, and ice cream.