Thursday, June 26, 2008

Grand Teton Hiking Day - No Biking Miles

No biking today (Thursday) but total so far is 1,621 miles. Back on the road tomorrow. We went to Grand Teton National Park which is close to Jackson, Wyoming & hiked a 6.6 mile trail along Jenny Lake. The Tetons are so spectacular with snow covering the peaks. Wildlife seen included marmot (sunbathing), deer, merganzer duck, ravens, and a squirrel. Jenny Lake is crystal clear.

Haven't talked about food lately but it's been good eating - trout & salmon dinner on Monday at Flagg Ranch Restaurant, lasagna & manicotti dinners at Pete's Pizza & Pasta on Tuesday in West Yellowstone, the best pancakes ever (buttermilk & blueberry buckwheat) at Running Bear Pancake house Wed. morning (Kathy ate bacon & eggs), shrimp & spinach quesadilas for both of us at Merry Piglets in Jackson last nite, black bean soup, elk chili, salad, and cornbread at Signal Mt. Lodge in the Tetons for lunch, and beef brisket sandwich, potato salad, barbecue chicken, and coleslaw at Bubba's in Jackson for this evening's dinner.

Met Richard Edwards from Farragut in Yellowstone on Tuesday. It seems that most people fly to Denver, Salt Lake City, or some other "nearby" city and rent cars rather than drive the long distance to get to Yellowstone & the Grand Tetons.

1 comment:

Chris in Cleveland said...

Hi Tom,

My name is Chris. I'm a friend of your brother-in-law, Fireman Mike. He told me about your bike trip and sent me the link to your blog.

In 1981, I rode from Cleveland, OH to Boulder, CO with a friend and we had a great time. I vowed then that some day I would go ocean to ocean. That item is still on my list of things I have to do, so I'm reading your blog with great interest. Someday, I hope to "follow in your tread marks".

Coincidentally, last weekend my wife and I were in Yellowstone and Grand Teton. The scenery everywhere was awesome, but we both agreed that Jenny Lake was the most naturally beautiful place we've ever been.

Good luck with your trip. I will be checking in often. From my experience of 27 years ago I suggest that you beware of farmers' dogs when you get into the midwest. I darn near got my leg chewed off by one of them back in 1981 as we rode past a large cornfield.

Regards,

Chris in Cleveland