Sunday, June 8, 2008

Day 13 - 69 Miles to John Day

Biked 69 miles on Saturday for 698 total miles to date. Sunny all day with white puffy clouds. My day began with a 7 mile steep uphill climb on Rte. 26 from the campground; rest of the way was flat. Many picture opportunities out here. My nose is rough, need to coat it with zinc oxide. Lots of wildlife – 5 deer in a field (3 with antlers in velvet), hawks, swallows, & ravens. In Mt. Vernon, someone said there was a church in John Day so I cycled 6 miles and knocked on the rectory door startling Fr. Bartholomew, a Nigerian priest who had only been there a week. (He knows my church’s former associate, Fr. Bede, they’re from the same tribe.) He asked why I was biking, was it for exercise? So I went to Mass at St. Elizabeth of Hungary and was invited to stay with Mike, Sophie, and Dan Cosgrove in their spare room. Their hospitality was much appreciated! They fed me lentil soup, salad, and dessert, much tastier than the ramen noodles I’ve been eating. John Day (pop.1,821) is surrounded by Strawberry Mts. to the south and Blue Mts. to the north. Saw a gorgeous gorge, fossil creek, mesas, and buttes. It’s down to freezing tonight but I’ll be cozy!

No comments: