Sunday, June 8, 2008

Day 14 - 61 Miles Near Baker City

Sunday, June 8 - biked 61 miles, 759 total miles. Started the day with oatmeal and a banana for breakfast. Thanks again to the Cosgroves for hosting me overnight and for the meals. Cycled some miles and then had a second breakfast of a short stack of pancakes (size of a football) and scrambled eggs. The waiter didn't expect me to eat it all but I showed him! Lunch was a hard roll with peanut butter. Traveled on Rte. 26 to Rte. 7 and went over 3 significant mountain passes. The trend is as each time I go over a pass, the mean elevation is higher. It’s sunny, about 65o, and puffy clouds. Saw several osprey and purple wildflowers, either orchids or irises. Set up camp next to a mountain stream in Union Creek Campground in Wallowa-Whitman National Forest. As I’m about 18 miles outside of Baker City and my brakes are worn out, I plan to find a bike shop tomorrow morning in Baker City. So I’ll take a break for the brakes!

3 comments:

Maureen Hosty said...

Tom, its great reading about your adventures. Wow! I wish I was there traveling right along side of you. Happy, safe and hopefully warm and dry travels. I wish for you strong tail winds.

Anonymous said...

Pedal, Tom, pedal! I am loving your blog. What a wonderful adventure for a great cause.

Take care and happy riding!

Angela Ivory

Tim T said...

Tom, found out today that you're really doing it! Great fun reading your posts and look forward to the rest of the trip. Know that your y12 friends (Cheryl, Matt, Jeff, Russ, Mary, et al) are now aware and cheering you on. Would love to be riding along.
-Tim