Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 16 - 69 Miles to Cambridge, Idaho

Tuesday, June 10 - biked 69 miles, 888 total miles. Breakfast was at a café and I was hungry – pancakes, eggs, bacon, hash browns, and coffee (shhh, don’t tell my doctor). It was hell today, Hell’s Canyon to be exact! I wandered about Hell’s Canyon most of the day including a premature entry into Idaho at 11:30 (official entry at 1:30, good-bye Oregon!) & a climb along the Snake River before stopping a motorist to find I was on the wrong route. It cost me an extra climb and 2 miles of cycling. Good thing I asked as it was a dead end some 10 miles down the road. Not much wildlife as the animals were hunkered down from the cold but saw deer and sea gulls. Snacked on a bagel with peanut butter, snickers, and a banana. Getting out of “Hell,” had a long climb, 11 miles of headwind in granny gear (low gears). Had a good day overall, but a tough afternoon. It was freezing over & the temp kept dropping (41o @ 25 mph = brrrrrrrrrrr). I was shaking from the cold coming down the mountain, so camping was not in my plan. Found a room at the Frontier Motel on Rte. 71 in Cambridge (pop. 360) where I shaved and had a long, hot shower (it’s been several days since I had one). Dinner was at Miss G’s – sirloin steak (ymmmm), baked potato, 2 trips to the salad bar, and a huge piece of chocolate cream pie. It’s 45o and falling, going to be a cold night. Weather dependent, I’ll head out on Rte. 95 in the morning. Pray for a tail wind!

3 comments:

Will and Valerie said...

Yay Mr. Perry! I'll be on the Snake in about a week! My prayers are with you for safe journeys and a tail wind!

Unknown said...

Tom, I have a friend in Sheridan, WY, who said you could overnight there, if it's on your way.

Jim Froula

Unknown said...

Tom, you are the Man! We are really proud of you! Keep up the great work.

Jim & Barbara F.